Want to learn how to make cannabutter or weed butter? Use our simple cannabutter recipe or weed butter recipe. This is a simplified version of a classic recipe: there is no melting butter in boiling water, simply decarb your bud, infuse with butter, and strain. You can substitute regular butter with your favorite vegan butter too.
Use cannabis infused butter to bake cookies, melt and toss with your favorite veggies, or drizzle over grilled steak, the possibilities are endless.
- This recipe yields 24 teaspoons
- Takes about 30 minutes to prep
- Takes about 3 hours to cook
- Take about 3.5 hours in total
If you need the details in minutes see below. Quick note THC butter and pot butter are the same as cannabutter.
This cannabutter recipe is easy to make. However, unless you love the taste of cannabis, when cooking with the cannabutter try to pair with flavorful foods to hide the taste. London Cello cannabutter blends beautifully with red wine vinegar, fresh chopped parsley, garlic, fresh chillies, dried oregano, and salt and pepper to create a stellar chimichurri dressing perfect to slather on steak.
While food and bud pairing is not a hard science, an easy trick is to combine marijuana strains with similar flavors: think funky and earthy strains, like, Bubba Kush paired with mushroom dishes. If you prefer those lighter, zestier citrus terpenes, combine those strains with zippy tart dressings.
How to Make Cannabutter – Follow the steps below-
One of the most important steps in our cannabutter recipe is the decarbing process. This process allows you to get the maximum power out of the bud. It adds about 30minutes to the process but is well worth it. Be prepared for it to smell like weed, if you are just doing this on the stove in a pot and not using an infuser machine. Learning how to make cannabutter is fund. Once you do the process once you can use it to make cannabis oils as well.
- Prep Time 22-30 Minutes
- Cook Time 180 Minutes
- Total Time 210 Minutes
- Serves 2 People
- Calories 200 kcal
- 2.33 grams Ground Cannabis Flower
- 1/2 Cup Butter (113 grams) or 1 stick
- Decarboxylate First things first, prep your cannabis by decarboxylating. This process activates the THC and/or CBD that will be infused into the butter. Preheat your oven to 220 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread your cannabis over the parchment and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 22-30 minutes, keep an eye on it, every oven is different. When finished it should be lightly toasted and aromatic.
- Infuse your butter with the flower. Add the bud and butter into a double boiler, a slow cooker, decarboxylator device, or your sous vide and infuse over low heat, or 85C/185F for 3 hours.
- Strain over a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. “NOTE: Use disposable kitchen gloves and flexible spatulas to handle this material. Handling this material with your bare hands can lead to an undesired experience as THC infused butter can be absorbed through skin.” (Chef Korby)
- Store the finished cannabis infused butter in a mason jar, and then place in the refrigerator. The potency of the butter will depend on your bud’s THC and CBD content. Test out with a teaspoon and dose accordingly for what is right for you.
How to Make Weedbutter - Frequently Asked Questions
Does cannabutter get you high?
Yes, weedbutter get’s you high. That’s the point. It gives you a body high that can last for a long time.
Is cannabuter or weed butter legal?
Cannabutter is only legal where cannabis is legal. Make sure you check your local laws.
Is cannabutter stronger the longer you cook it?
Yes, cannabutter get’s more potent the longer you cook it. This is because it is infusing more of the THC into the butter.
Is it cheaper to buy or to make cannabutter?
This really depends on the quantity, quality and who you are buying from. However, we think it is better and cheaper to make your own cannabutter. That’s why we made this cannabutter recipe. If you make it yourself you can make it as strong as you want and know that quality ingredients are going into your recipe.
Is butter or oil better for cannabutter?
If you are making cannabutter you should use butter. If you are making cannabis oil then you should use oil. Here are a few different cannabis infused oil recipes:
- Cannabis infused avocado oil recipe
- Cannabis infused olive oil recipe
- Cannabis infused flaxseed oil recipe
- Cannabis infused coconut oil recipe
What color should cannabutter be?
Cannabutter or weedbutter color depends on the strain you are using. However, it usually is dark green or brown. This can also change depending on how long you cook it for. Make sure not to burn it.
Is two hours long enough for weedbutter?
Two hours is long enough but the longer you cook it the stronger it will be. We recommend cooking it longer.